Help BBBike extracts
BBBike extracts allows you to extracts areas from Planet.osm in OSM, PBF, o5m, Garmin, Navit, Osmand, Esri shapefile, mapsforge, CSV or OPL format. The maximum area size is 24,000,000 square km, or 768MB file size. It takes between 2-7 minutes to extract an area. The e-mail field is required, you will be notified by e-mail if your extract is ready for download. Please us meaningfull name for the extract.How to use the BBBike extract service:
- Move the map to your desired location.
- Then click to create the bounding box.
- Move or resize the bounding box, or add new points to the polygon.
- Select a Format, enter Your email address and Name of area to extract.
- Click the extract button. Wait for email notification and download the map. Done!
- supports Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF) format
- supports OSM XML, compressed with gzip, bzip2 or 7-zip (xz)
- supports .o5m data format, compressed with gzip or bzip2
- supports Garmin format, with styles for OSM, cycle map, leisure (freizeitkarte) and BBBike. Routing is enabled
- supports Esri shapefile format
- supports Osmand (OBF) format for Android devices
- supports mapsforge (map) format for Android devices
- supports Navit format for Linux, Windows, Android, OpenMoko Freerunner, Wince, Nokia n800 Internet tables, iPhone, Zaurus
- supports libosmium OPL format
- planet.osm data updated every week
Screen shots of maps applications:
|Garmin OSM||Garmin Cycle||Garmin Leisure||Garmin BBBike||Garmin OSM+Contours||Garmin Contours|
Select an Area
Click a box to select an area.
You can resize or move the bounding box by clicking on the box.
Choose resize or drag.
Want a polygon instead a box? First click a box on the map. Then choose add points to polygon. Click on the box on the map and add points. You can add as much points as you want, resize or move the polygon:
Here is an other example for a trip on the East Coast, from New York City to Boston. The data size of the polygon area is usually 1/2 or 1/3 of a rectangle:
Garmin OSM documentationPlease read the OSM wiki how to install the maps on your GPS device:
More Screen shots of Garmin styles
|osm||standard OpenStreetMap style|
|cycle||map style similar to opencyclemap.org|
|leisure||map style from freizeitkarte-osm.de, for outdoor activities. The .img file is ~30% larger than the osm/cycle file|
|bbbike||map style from bbbike.de, for outdoor activities. Experimentell|
Routing is enabled for the Garmin maps. Depending on your device, it is possible to store more than one Garmin map (or with different styles) on your Garmin.
Shapefile (Esri) documentation
The file size depends on the format. The reference format is Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF). The estimated size factor is:
|OSM XML gzip'd||2|
|OSM XML bzip'd||1.5|
|OSM XML 7-zip||1.6|
Other extract services
- www.freizeitkarte-osm.de for Garmin and Android
- wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Computerteddy for free Garmin maps, Europe + World
- wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm#Downloading for all formats
- download.geofabrik.de/openstreetmap for OSM, PBF, shape, daily updates
- code.google.com/p/osmand/downloads/list for osmand
To generate a SHA256 checksum, just run
$ shasum -a 256 file.osm.pbf
To generate a MD5 checksum, just run
$ md5sum file.osm.pbf or depending on your OS
$ md5 file.osm.pbf
Supported BrowsersAny modern browser which conforms to the W3C standards:
- Firefox 4.x or later
- WebKit based browsers: Safari 5.x, Google Chrome, mobile Safari (iOS)
- Opera 9, 10
- IE8 or later
Not supported browsers:
- Valid values for longitude are -180 .. 180, and for latitude -90 .. 90.
- The e-mail field is required, you will be notified by e-mail if your extract is ready for download.
- Please us meaningfull name for the extract, to find it later on your inbox or computer
- Didn't get an email in a reasonable time? Please check your SPAM folder first. You can see the status of your extract requests here.
- The extract system runs in a shared batch mode. If there are too many request, it may take longer to process your requests. Be patient!
- The extracts don't contain metadata as version number, author, timestamp etc. If you need to edit OSM data, please go to the OpenStreetMap.org web site.
- The planet.osm database will be updated every week. For details look at the BBBike planet.osm mirror.
Extract Pro, Commercial Support and daily data updates
The extract pro service offers extracts with full meta data and a daily update of the database (0:00 UTC). Due the higher system load, we cannot offer this service for free.
Feel free to contact us if you need commercial support or want use the extract pro service.
Terms of Service
Map data (©) OpenStreetMap.org contributors.
Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM), by NASA, public domain.
The BBBike extract service is free of charge. There are no warranties, use it at your own risk.
We accecpt donations! ;-) You can support us via PayPal, Flattr or bank wire transfer