Help BBBike extracts
BBBike extracts allows you to extracts areas from Planet.osm in OSM, PBF, o5m, Garmin, Navit, maps.me, Osmand, Esri shapefile, mapsforge, CSV or OPL format. The maximum area size is 24,000,000 square km, or 768MB file size. It takes between 2-7 minutes to extract an area. The e-mail field is required, you will be notified by e-mail if your extract is ready for download. Please us meaningfull name for the extract.How to use the BBBike extract service:
- Move the map to your desired location.
- Then click to create the bounding box.
- Move or resize the bounding box, or add new points to the polygon.
- Select a Format, enter Your email address and Name of area to extract.
- Click the extract button. Wait for email notification and download the map. Done!
- supports Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF) format
- supports OSM XML, compressed with gzip, bzip2 or 7-zip (xz)
- supports .o5m data format, compressed with gzip or bzip2
- supports Garmin format, with styles for OSM, cycle map, leisure (freizeitkarte), OpenFietsMap, OpenSeaMap, and BBBike. Routing is enabled
- supports Esri shapefile format
- supports Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format
- supports Portable Network Graphics (PNG) format
- supports Osmand (OBF) format for Android devices
- supports mapsforge (map) format for Android devices
- supports maps.me (omim) format for Android and iOS devices
- supports Navit format for Linux, Windows, Android, OpenMoko Freerunner, Wince, Nokia n800 Internet tables, iPhone, Zaurus
- supports libosmium OPL format
- planet.osm data updated every week
Screenshots of maps applications:
Select an Area
Click a box to select an area.
You can resize or move the bounding box by clicking on the box.
Choose resize or drag.
Want a polygon instead a box? First click a box on the map. Then choose add points to polygon. Click on the box on the map and add points. You can add as much points as you want, resize or move the polygon:
Here is an other example for a trip on the East Coast, from New York City to Boston. The data size of the polygon area is usually 1/2 or 1/3 of a rectangle:
Garmin OSM documentationPlease read the OSM wiki how to install the maps on your GPS device:
More Screenshots of Garmin styles
|osm||standard OpenStreetMap style|
|cycle||map style similar to opencyclemap.org|
|leisure||map style from freizeitkarte-osm.de, for outdoor activities. The .img file is ~30% larger than the osm/cycle file|
|bbbike||map style from bbbike.de, for outdoor activities.|
|onroad||A Garmin style for older devices with less space - usually 1/10 the size of Garmin OSM, see github.com/raintonr/mkgmap-bike-onroad, for outdoor activities.|
|openfietslite||map style from OpenFietsMap.nl, for outdoor activities.|
|oseam||map style from OpenSeaMap.org, the free nautical chart|
Routing is enabled for the Garmin maps. Depending on your device, it is possible to store more than one Garmin map (or with different styles) on your Garmin.
By default all generated Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap data will use the code-page unicode (utf-8). However, some older devices don't support Unicode and some new devices have a broken DRM firmware. In this special case please use the ASCII style. Garmin SRTM extracts use always the ASCII character set.
Note: Routing in this extract is not support yet! Sorry.
For iOS: you need to connect your device to your computer, start iTunes, select your device. In the left sidebar select Apps and scroll down to the the very end in iTunes until the section File Sharing appears. Select maps.me in the left side bar. Now you can add the *.mwm file on the right side, or just drop it here.
For Android: copy the *.mwm file to the MapsWithMe folder. Depending on your device setup, the folder can be on the system partion or on an SD card.After installing the map, you have to restart the app to see the new map.
Shapefile (Esri) documentation
Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) documentation
Please note: large SVG files (>10MB) may slowdown or crash your browser or SVG viewer. Be carefully!
Portable Network Graphics (PNG) documentation
For screenshots, see SVG above.
Please note: large PNG files (>30MB) may slowdown or crash your browser or image viewer. Be carefully!
The file size depends on the format. The reference format is Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF). The estimated size factor is:
|OSM XML gzip'd||2|
|OSM XML bzip'd||1.5|
|OSM XML 7-zip||1.6|
Other extract services
- www.freizeitkarte-osm.de for Garmin and Android
- wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Computerteddy for free Garmin maps, Europe + World
- wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm#Downloading for all formats
- Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices from OpenStreetMap by garmin.openstreetmap.nl
- download.geofabrik.de/openstreetmap for OSM, PBF, shape, daily updates
- download.osmand.net/rawindexes for osmand
To generate a SHA256 checksum, just run
$ shasum -a 256 file.osm.pbf
To generate a MD5 checksum, just run
$ md5sum file.osm.pbf
or depending on your OS
$ md5 file.osm.pbf
Supported BrowsersAny modern browser which conforms to the W3C standards:
- Firefox 4.x or later
- WebKit based browsers: Safari 5.x, Google Chrome, mobile Safari (iOS)
- Opera 9, 10
- IE8 or later
Not supported browsers:
- Valid values for longitude are -180 .. 180, and for latitude -90 .. 90.
- The e-mail field is required, you will be notified by e-mail if your extract is ready for download. Don't have a working e-mail, or cannot access your e-mail now (internet cafe)? - then please use nobody as e-mail address.
- Please us meaningfull name for the extract, to find it later on your inbox or computer
- Didn't get an email in a reasonable time? Please check your SPAM folder first. You can see the status of your extract requests here.
- The extract system runs in a shared batch mode. If there are too many request, it may take longer to process your requests. Be patient!
- The extracts don't contain metadata as version number, author, timestamp etc. If you need to edit OSM data, please go to the OpenStreetMap.org web site.
- The planet.osm database will be updated every week. For details look at the BBBike planet.osm mirror.
Extract Pro, Commercial Support and daily data updates
The extract pro service offers extracts with full meta data and a daily update of the database (0:00 UTC). Due the higher system load, we cannot offer this service for free.
Feel free to contact us if you need commercial support or want use the extract pro service.
Terms of Service
Map data (©) OpenStreetMap.org contributors.
Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM), by NASA, public domain.
The BBBike extract service is free of charge. There are no warranties, use it at your own risk.
We accecpt donations! ;-) You can support us via PayPal, Flattr or bank wire transfer